What can I use a skip for?

The skip can be used to dispose of any unwanted materials, furniture or some household goods. This usually comes in most handy during a home renovation project, an office clear out, a garden makeover or any other project which requires the disposal of a large amount of waste.

What can't I put in the skip ?

You cannot put fridges, freezers, tyres, asbestos, food wastes, TV’s, computers, liquids or any hazardous materials.

What skip size shall I choose?

Choosing the size of your skip should be based on the realistic calculation of the amount of waste that you need to get rid of. You should never overload a skip, as they become too heavy for the vehicles to transport safely and legally. Due to health and safety regulations, FM Waste Ltd are not allowed to collect any skips if the waste rises above the sides of the skip. If you need more space in your skip, you can always hire a second skip.

What happens to my unwanted waste?

You have the added peace of mind that FM Waste Ltd will recycle 85% of all of the waste placed into the skip.

Where can I put my skip?

You will need to think about where you would like the skip to be placed. You will need to think about the width between gateposts. (minimum width for 8 yard skip is 2.6 meters and for a RoRo skip 3.1 meters)  You also need to consider overhead cables in and around your premises. If you do not have a driveway, you may need to place the skip on the side of the road, this may well require a local authority permit or alternatively you could do a load and wait, our driver will stay with the skip for 30 minutes to give you time to load the skip and save the need for a permit. If you do need a permit contact FM Waste Ltd and they will arrange the permit for you.

How long can I keep my skip?

You can keep your skip for 1 week, you can however agree an extension but this may incur a weekly hire fee.

Legal Requirements ?

Customers are responsible to ensure their waste is carried and disposed of legally. Local authorities can and do prosecute householders when unlicensed contractors fly tip their waste.

The two licenses required to deal with your waste are:

A waste carriers license – this enables waste to be carried in vehicles. FM Waste Ltd carry a full waste carriers license.

A waste transfer site license – this enables waste to be disposed of. FM Waste Ltd carry a full transfer site license.

A copy of both these licences can be seen on this website.